Before the Decline

Elderly Woman, Morocco

Elderly Woman, Morocco (Photo credit: United Nations Photo)

Nature is at its most beautiful
The moment before the decay
Flowers in full bloom
Butterflies in flight
Hovering over the precipice
Of decline

Similarly the lines of age
Upon a face
Begin to trace
The trajectory of wisdom
The beginning of peace
The calm and balance
Of acceptance

In this youth obsessed world
We miss the rule of nature
As it applies to our own kind
And to the true beauty
Of our elderly
We tragically
Are blind

Let us not miss
The perfection
These moments before
The decline

This entry was posted in Earth, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Before the Decline

1. MuseWriter says:

I love this!
    “Similarly the lines of age
    Upon a face
    Begin to trace
    The trajectory of wisdom”

2. purple says:

I timely reminder … especially in this day and age. Actually, any day and age. So much for the wisdom, and beauty, of our elders. Sad.

3. thegodspark says:

My favorite stanza is the first one. Especially these lines (because not only is the point driven home well but the imagery is really strong):
    Flowers in full bloom
    Butterflies in flight
    Hovering over the precipice
    Of decline

4. lawsonsotherdog says:

beautiful poem & image…..i once saw a film called ‘Latcho Drom’ a film about the origins of the gypsy, by the way they came from Rajasthan in India. ..anyway the film charts its course and ends in flamenco Spain. two dancers covered in black cloaks and their backs facing the camera danced in great energetic frenzy. as the camera came around to their faces the couple were in their 80’s, craggy faces, full with life….i love this poem

• Thank you so much – that films sounds amazing! 🙂

• lawsonsotherdog says:

Oh yes, yes maybe you can get int on line, the music starts like said in India, moves over to Iran, then Romania where you these strange gypsys living in trees then onwards through to Spain of course they moved onto Ireland as well..wonderful music, wonderful imagery

5. Jack Flacco says:

Simply beautiful! I feel calm and relaxed after reading this. I think it has to do with your word choices and your phrasings. Like I said, simply beautiful… oh, my…

6. So beautiful this Helen, and so well said! 😀

7. beautifuldreams42 says:

I think this may be my favorite of yours. This morning, I noticed a few more greys, and a wrinkle or two in the silly sunlight. Somehow, I felt at peace, though. Each line, a laugh or a brow furrow that God has been with me through. Then to read this, just beautiful, Helen. Give you a hug for me!!