The Limerick That Yearned For More

Day 64 - Sadness

Day 64 – Sadness (Photo credit: juanpg)

There once was a limerick I knew
That people would quote in review
A laugh it would bring
While it yearned to sing
Of something more pure and true

But the truth will not bring it much cheer
Since sonnets are far more revered
For its form is not lent
For dramatic intent
So remains ever as it has feared

This entry was posted in Air, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Limerick That Yearned For More

1. tjtherien says:

ahhh yes the poor limerick…

2. Loved to do limericks in college. We would make them up about each other. Lots of laughs. I like your sympathetic note on the fact that a limerick is as a limerick does.

I can still remember the limerick I wrote a junior school. It went: There was a young fellow named Fred, Who felt ill, so he went up to bed. He couldn’t sleep a wink, And his face went all pink. And when he woke up next day he was dead.

Needless to say my English teacher wasn’t impressed.

4. Kira says:

I love limericks, they always make me smile! I thoroughly enjoyed this one!!

5. Chris Cariad says:

Very enjoyable indeed. ā¤ it!

6. beeseeker says:

Superb the way you have linked the ambitious limerick and the face of a clown; who started the rumour that all comedians really wanted to do was act in a Shakespeare play ?

7. howanxious says:

That is so bad for the limericks!
    But I don’t like them myself, since it is difficult for me to write them… there is a lack of that humor gene in me. šŸ™‚

8. Nice to see someone play with this rather difficult form – excellent

9. Mike says:

New angle on an old favourite – amusing and clever. Well done

10. caroness1 says:

I really love this limerick…brings a nice smile to the face in the morning!

11. Pingback: Spirit of House Seminal House Classic: Alison Limerick – Where Love Lives (1991) | (Deep House Sydney, Soulful House Sydney) | ā™«ā™„ SOUL OF SYDNEY: SOUL|JAZZ|FUNK|AFRO-BEAT DISCO|LATIN|HIPHOP SOULFUL HOUSE Vibes ā™«ā™„