RCC Update – Any Advice Most Welcome!!!

David Tennant in Doctor Who

David Tennant in Doctor Who (Photo credit: lisby1)

Can I make a confession?  Right now I feel like I’m on the brink of nervous exhaustion.

My work life is out of control at the moment.  Every day brings new, complex problems and massive juggling of resources and politics, plus having to put up with a lot of often rude behaviour while trying to shield my team from that to the degree possible.

Meanwhile I top and tail my day with blogging, which I love, but which is hard to keep up with – you are all so fabulous and prolific I worry a lot I will get behind because… because…

Because Dr Who hasn’t co-operated and turned up with the tardis to give me more hours in the day…damn him…mind you, I did specify I wanted the 10th Dr (the divine David Tennant) so perhaps my pickiness is why he won’t turn up…having re-generated and all…though I don’t see what’s wrong with having taste and standards…but….but I digress….

So can I ask a targeted question to my fellow RCCers, and anyone else kind enough to be reading this and able to offer some good advice??

For those of you who are juggling blogging, your creative and other dreams with a full time job or other major responsibilities – how do you do it for a sustained period?  Are there any good tricks to help get the balance right?

I know I will have 10+ hour days at work Monday to Friday and often weekend work and that won’t let up.  I also know I want to get my first book published online by July and am falling a bit behind in making the arrangements for that.  I also know I want to keep in regular, daily contact with as many of you as possible as that deeply enriches my life.

But I’m so tired..more tired than I can remember being…and this week at work has been a litany of disasters, bad news and assorted bad behaviour so my resilience levels are down.

For those of you in similar situations, what do you do?  How do you stop yourself from spiralling into depression?

I’m probably just at a particularly low ebb right now and will bounce back, but any advice would be most appreciated.

Or if anyone can find the 10th Dr and send him and the tardis my way I will be forever in your debt…..  🙂

This entry was posted in Conversation, Water and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to RCC Update – Any Advice Most Welcome!!!

1. Rowan Taw says:

Take it easy. Don’t turn blogging into another work-like deadline. Your content is great, we’ll be here looking and waiting for you patiently…no need to put pressure on yourself. The Internet breaks with traditional time…no need for the Dr!

• Thank you – I actually have poems scheduled for the next month or so, but its keeping up with everyone’s blogs that takes more time, but then I don’t want to miss out either, and I want to return the wonderful support I am given! LOL..I guess I want it all! Juggling is hard and work has just been horrible this week…some weeks are like that I suppose..and its only half way to the weekend. But thank you for your kind support, its very much appreciated! :).

2. Simon says:

I have two blogs – the fiction blog that you’re kind enough to read, and a journal. The journal I try and update daily. The fiction blog I update in fits and starts – sometimes multiple poems in a day, sometimes nothing for a few days (as it is now). I also work full time, I’m a part time father, and as a single man have a house to run. So it DOES get hard, especially with the journal, to keep going.
    The sad thing is, the blogging is the thing that has to take the hit and not be done as often when things get bad. I also feel that I’d lose my audience (especially from the fiction blog) if I don’t keep up the writing, but what I have learned is that this blogging community is wonderful and they will ALWAYS return and read anything new. And if some people lose interest, there are always new people out there waiting to discover your work. I get pleasure from writing my poetry and fiction, it’s true, but when work and home and fatherhood get busy, I have to put that aside until I have a little more time. Maybe that’s not the answer you wanted to hear, but honestly, do not worry about your readers losing faith – you’re far too talented and write amazing pieces, so your audience will always be there even if you need a break every now and then. Hope that helps 🙂

• It helps a lot, thank you! Just to hear about how someone else juggles all this – and you have parenthood to do as well, so well done you for an even more demanding schedule! I guess you are right, if it gets too overwhelming I may need to blog/keep up with blogs a little less, at least maybe during the working week…I don’t want to step back but I guess if I give myself permission to do so when it all gets too much in the other aspects of my life I can give more when I’m over that and back. thank you so much for commenting, its very much appreciated!

3. Whew, it sounds like maybe you need a little break? Even if it is just a few hours or an afternoon to not do anything — except maybe watch some Dr. Who 😉
    I know it is when we need the breaks the most that it is usually the most difficult to get them. Hang in there!

• Thank you – yes, you are so right, there seems to be some form of perverse inverse proportional thing that the more you need a break the more you can’t get to have one…I guess I may have to make some decisions about what I have discretion to change (blogging to some extent, the pace of getting the novel published etc) and what I don’t (work)…thank you for commenting, your thoughts and your kind support!:)

4. Geo Sans says:

I took a couple weeks

off from blogging in march

~

of course

I missed some things

but such is life

~

good friends

always understand

5. Scarlet says:

Leave the computer, leave anything to do with pressure, I generally go see friends, garden or watch my fish – yes that’s bizarre behaviour for a 22 year old. I know you don’t have enough hours in a day but that’s only because you’ve convinced yourself you need to do everything, I do that too but with insomnia its a snap 🙂 Friends are better than sleeping pills, pot or booze.

• Very true..I think spending less time at the computer is going to be necessary until my work environment settles a bit…so I shall take all the wise counsel people like yourself have been kind enough to share and make some changes to my computer time habits for a while. Hopefully I can still keep up to some degree. 🙂

6. I find you to be a very prolific blogger on here, and also with a lot of good content. I would say, try to write on here about things that you enjoy, and about expressing yourself. As not everything needs to be done in a work-like manner.

• Thank you so much. The writing is actually the least pressure part of it..I write poems in batches on weekends and schedule them, so it probably appears I am writing all the time but I’m actually not. I’ve already decided since I have poems scheduled till near end June that this weekend will be a poetry free weekend and I’ll use that time to progress my book. other than that I’m going to limit/balance my blog reading time during the week. Hopefully that will bring things back into balance more. 🙂

7. I’m not a writer, not really much of a blogger – so keep that in mind with my advice. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself. Take a break. Breathe. Read what you can. Let what you don’t have time for go. But don’t forget to live. And breathe.

“How do you stop yourself from spiralling into depression?” Pills, courtesy of my CPN. They don’t work though. On an up note, the tenth Doctor (er…don’t read ahead if you don’t want any spoilers) is coming back. He’ll be teaming up with the eleventh Doctor for the fiftieth anniversary year special due out in November.

9. Solothefirst says:

Big Hugs sweetie, it is a nightmare when things go badly at work let alone being tired and sad. I find chocolate is a friend… and there is some scientific fact for that (or is that just wishful thinking on my part) and of course watching really non-brainer tv…. um Iron man 3 is good, rewatching 10th Doctor, rewatching leverage!! watching and rewatching supernatural…. anything with a few cuties in it actually. and you know what – chuck a sickie if you can and just have a personal day!

• Thank you…chocolate did enter into the equation last night when the depression hit I will admit!!! And a bit of mindless TV watched the Voice and let Joel Madden’s manic energy cheer me up a bit ,LOL.

Leverage and Supernatural sound like good ideas for the weekend…. 😉

10. aloha Helen. my thoughts: every one has a life that is different. yet we all have similarities too. things that have helped me in the past may or may not apply or help you.

consider some reorientation on your scheduling of goals. for instance i dont worry so much about when my book will come out (even tho i would like it to be about the time i’d like it), as long as i’m moving forward on it. small steps each day are okay.

i also tend to keep several projects going at one time. not all get worked on every day, some need thought time. what happens is that something is always nearing a completion point and something else is always beginning and something else is always in the middle someplace. so i feel like i’m nearing the end of some things and i also have the excitement of something new beginning too. and this is constant.

small posts on a blog are okay too. if you make a small goal (other than your usual posts) and do it each day, you can post that on days you are overwhelmed. such as: one observation that caught your eye each day. or something else that is fun. or funny. to you. just a line or two. one good sentence maybe. there are guides and prompts to these kinds of things. there is one about writing one “stone” a day to create a river of stones. i have not done this but i like the results i see when others follow this. it may be a month activity, but many take these monthly activities and do them year round. i recently had fun writing fortunes for fortune cookies. now i’m in the process of setting something up so i can post one a day, or maybe 2-3 per week. it may start this week, it may start next month, it will start when it’s ready and that’s okay by me.

we all need breaks. let your readers know you need one too. and maybe indicate a less frequent posting schedule 3 times a week?? 2 a week?? 1 a week? for a month or so.

i used to get overwhelmed or at least stop posting between roughly late Oct. through late Jan. i didnt stop working, but i just didnt post as often. when i found that was a pattern i made note of it on my about page (or some place) to let readers know what was going on in general.

yes, you need some time to yourself—each day preferably. if you do not meditate, you might look into this. 20 minutes a day is a good base. meditation has lots of benefits, including stress release and controlling your mind, which may help with depression or the sense of being overwhelmed—and i find when i’m on that schedule of daily meditation i actually make better use of my time when i’m not meditating, so the 20 minutes is made up in what i accomplish in the rest of the day.

take a few minutes to breathe and relax each day. even if just 5 minutes.

work and other problems can be set aside when you sleep. you can leave them outside your door. mentally place them there. you dont need them when you sleep. if you want them when you wake, pick them back up when you go out the door. or leave them there if that works too.

and of course take some time for fun. do something that is fun for you each day for a few minutes if possible. once a week is not enough even if it’s a long day of fun. a little every day is better (imo).

aloha.

• Wow, thank you, such wise counsel and so detailed. I really appreciate this! In a way the poem posting is the least of my issues – I tend to write poems in a batch when the muse flows, normally on weekends, then type them up and schedule them and they are currently scheduled 2 per day till near the end of June…so I know I can relax re that for the next few weekends. I think my problem may just be trying to keep up with reading other blogs at the end of difficult work days…yesterday it just kind of hit me in the head I think (which probably had far more to do with the day at work than anything else..). So I may spend a little less time in the weekday evenings and that may be all the balance I need.

I so appreciate your and other people’s comments…as ever the kindness and support of this community is overwhelming (but in a god way!!) 🙂 🙂

11. try not to worry, let the blog be a hobby, not a hindrance 🙂
    you’re not obliged to read everything everyone posts 🙂

• Thank you so much – I like reading what everyone posts but I am having to come to terms with the fact that there aren’t enough hours in the day, and even with the ones I have been blogging I probably am not keeping up with everyone anyway. I’m going to try to just do a little less, time wise, rather than stop, each day, and hopefully that will put things right. 🙂 🙂

12. Shainbird says:

Hey Helen, don’t blow out your flame. Aside from work, let things come together in their time. The pieces you post for all of us out here are so enjoyable to read. I hope they are your sessions to get away from the daily race around the clock. I wish I could locate the Tardis for you, but it may take you to a place where the blogosphere doesn’t exist. Best wishes.

• Ah, now that’s a point r the TARDIS…hadn’t thought of that!! 🙂 : Thanks so much for your kind words. I will try to get this more in balance. I think I just hit a bit of a brick wall last night after a bad day at work and was depressed. If I can balance things a bit better I can stop the depression from setting in longer term. All the kind words and support of you and others who have responded certainly lifted my spirits this morning, so thank you!! 🙂 🙂

13. Remaining calm is very important. I’ll admit that I couldn’t balance the full-time job, family, and writing, which was before I started blogging. Yet, I know it’s doable. Anything that can be turned into a fun activity, should be looked at as fun instead of work. If it’s fun and you don’t get to it then you can more easily believe that you can get to it to tomorrow. Another option could be to put aside certain hours of certain days for certain activities. If you can’t do everything in a day then aim for getting to everything within a week.

• Charles, thank you, I think that’s very wise. I may be putting too much pressure re timing on myself. Also, the current major work stress will (probably) ease off in a few weeks, though all indications are it will come back around September. So it may be a matter of just re-assessing and balancing through the work cycle issues. It’s just that – and I know you will understand this and feel the same – the blogging and the writing are more fun and exciting so you don’t want to pull back on them to get balance, but perhaps I need to accept Dr Who isn’t coming anytime soon (sigh… ) so I better make some decisions about how to balance time after all. 🙂

• Maybe he’s waiting for you to find balance. I have to admit to not paying much attention. I caught several of the David Tennant episodes, but my tv watching is horribly inconsistent.

If you can figure out the pattern of your work stress then you work around it. The fun stuff will be around waiting for you, so take your time to figure things out. It could be trial and error to find your footing.

• LOL, much as I would like to think the 10th Dr is watching over me I doubt he’d find me that interesting, LOLOL. 🙂 🙂

You are very right re balance …I think I just needed to vent after a really depressing day at work ….I’ll sort this out I’m sure, one step at a time. 🙂

• So many doctors. All I remember is Tennant and the one with the colorful scarf from my childhood.

• LOL…the only one, in my humble opinion, really worth remembering is Tennant..but many DR Who watchers would probably accuse me of heresy for saying that, LOL! 🙂

• It’s amazing how long the series is going. It’s the Law & Order of science fiction.

• It is indeed! One of the most successful sci fi franchises ever really. 🙂

14. I feel your pain :/ I had to take a step back with regards to blogging as it IS hard to keep up with – especially with following new blogs etc or writing new posts…reading others.. it never ends. I now use sundays as my day of rest, fridays and saturdays i read, wednesdays are usually the day i write rather than read and the rest of the week i top up bits. But i have had to cut down the time i spend doing it so that i can live outside my blog life lol Ive also had to accept that i simply can not read every single post that the reader presents me with. Ultimately youre blogging for you…we are all blogging for ourselves, to get our thoughts out there and we all understand that not every one of our followers will read every single one of our posts…we wont hate you for having a day off (just a day though ok??? lol)
    Keep blogging fun, focus on the fun outside of it…do things for YOU xB

• Thank you – very wise counsel. I think I will ease back a bit on the amount of time reading blogs during the week – still try to do it most days but maybe for a little less time until work settles down. Then I might make some part of the weekend computer free…get outdoors or just laze and watch DVDs. Perhaps that means I can keep all elements in my life but have them in more balance. I can’t control how stressful work is at the moment but perhaps I can control other things in my life. Thank you! : 🙂

15. words4jp says:

Hi Helen –
    I am in a similar situation – and I am afraid blogging has to take a hit, which i hate because for me it is my sanity – my friends and I need those, especially now. I am trying my best to keep focused on what needs to be done first and foremost – I have taken care of the house issue (I moved) – now it is my job. It is a long story, but let’s just say, what the outcome will be affects everything, so I have to try my best to stay focused on that. & of course there are my boys and Pee. I guess what i am trying to say is remember that you are only human, and if something has to give, it has to give. Your WP community understands this completely, so do not feel pressured to keep up with blogging. I have discovered the use of quickies – updates, that is:)

• Thank you – it certainly sounds like we are in a similar sort of situation at the moment. I hope everything settles re your job quickly…work is such a central part of life, so essential to the quality of life etc, that when that is uncertain it can put everything else in the shadows. Re blogging I have poems for the next few weeks covered already (god bless scheduler!!), its more about how much time will have to read other blogs…and given I have so many very kind people who read my posts regularly I want to do my bit. But you are very right that at times something has to give, and blogging following might need to relax back a bit for a while for me. Thanks so much for commenting! 🙂 🙂

16. Juan Trevino says:

It’s simple. Put yourself first. Read and write what you can, when you can. The writing community will always be there for you. You have been there for us and we would never forget you. When you give us a nugget of your work, we will respond in kind. Now, go get yourself a glass of Merlot and take a deep breath. Your friend, Juan

• Thank you so much, that is very kind. I’m reading this at my breakfast time so a merlot might not be the best idea before I go to work, but maybe when I get home!! 🙂 I’ve got poems scheduled for the most part for the next month or more so I can relax a bit about that, but I do still want to check in on other blogger’s blogs so maybe I do that just slightly less during the week till work settles down and try to catch up more on the weekend…I’ll see how it goes…this is such a great, supportive, reciprocal community that I want to show my appreciation too. 🙂 🙂

17. just want to thank you for the time you gave me despite all your work
    now it even means more. I wish you good luck. you rock

• Oh, that’s fine..you are very welcome .. I enjoyed writing the poem and as I mentioned it all came into my head as I walked to work so the only real effort was typing it up! 🙂 Thanks so much!! 🙂 🙂

18. ksbeth says:

take all the time you need to do all you need. the reading and writing and blogging will continue, drop in and out as needed. all will understand )

19. Kira says:

First of all sending you a HUGE hug!!! I can relate to everything you are saying. I think you will find that your readers will continue to come visit you to read your wonderful content regardless if you can get to theirs or not! If I enjoy a blog I go to read it no matter whether the writer of that blog comes to my blog or not 🙂 I think you will find that all of us understand how stressful things are for you at work and in life. I just want you to find some peace for you…if that means taking a step back from keeping up with everyone else’s blog I think that it is what you need to do. We will be here for you whenever you have the time to pop in 🙂 xoxox

• Thank you, so very kind and supportive. I think it’s all about balance…I may get to other blogs less during the week for the immediate future but I have more time on weekends to enjoy the experience properly and catch up a bit. 🙂 I don’t just read other blogs out of duty, of course, I only follow blogs I enjoy, such as yours, so it is pleasurable to keep up, but I do admit these past couple of weeks I have had less time than usual and it does bother me if it seems I’m neglecting anyone I usually read regularly. 🙂

• Kira says:

I’ve been having the same problem lately. And it’s hard not being able to spend time with everyone. You are so right about it being about balance!! Xoxo

20. I enjoy blogging every day about everyday life, but every now and then, I like to talk about someone else, another blogger, another writer, or artist. Sharing is a good thing.

• Very true….I think the sharing and mutual support is one of the greatest aspects of blogging. I notice a few people have had guest bloggers…not sure how that is done but might look into it. 🙂

21. Drops of Ink says:

I think we all reach the point where we have to stand back and ask ourselves if we have taken on too much. It normally happens during a bad day or a set of them in a row, and usually just means we need a short break before we are raring to go again. It’s our bodies way of telling us to just step back and remember to breathe. (((hugs for you))) Hope you find that breath of fresh air you seek. 🙂

• Thank you!! I have already told my boss I am sleeping in tomorrow so getting in later than usual…I usually get to work just before 7am…so I’m aiming for something like 8.30amish…that should help the immediate exhaustion. After that I’ll try to get more balance going forward. 🙂

22. timbush222 says:

I would say it is easy enough to catch up on a blog when you need to because most posts are backlogged as in the older ones are still up there when you come back a week or month or however longer later. Everyone understands, as you can see, by these great comments about time constraints and all of that. Just know that you will be more able to absorb and make better comments if your mental state is in a good place. I agree with the suggestions to rest and/or meditate as that leads you to inspiring thoughts and also about what needs to get done the most. Just don’t think it has to be the most perfect thing when you meditate. Mostly it is just about a little self care and if you don’t reach total blissing out in it, that is normal. it helps to keep a routine of it.

I think that is a problem with the technological world we live in. It is so easy to get all sorts of info and people right up there on your screen without a single second thought that it all gets so overwhelming and you feel pulled in every which way. It is most important to take care of yourself as that will lead to you being better able to take care of the other bloggers and people in your life.

Most of the viewers here, I think are bloggers themselves, so I guess they (we) all know the feeling. I know I do. I have been having a similar problem. You get to feeling obligated ( or I do) to posting posts and keeping up with others as you feel it is your ‘job’ or love and there is just so much to do and be to so many people that you end up NEEDING a break, rather than just incorporating it into your daily routine. People understand that you can’t be there all the time because they can’t either.

If you need to, I know from being a reader, post something that is just an update to let us all know what you are up to, if you can only do it once a few weeks or days or so to keep us all satiated and knowing that there is nothing wrong with you. Just a short paragraph or two. For instance just say that you have been busy and that you are working on your book or what have you and people will understand. We WANT to be able to read your book or whatever else you are creating and if it takes a little less commenting or liking or writing, we will understand, for we will know that you are making something else that we will be able to enjoy. Or that you are dealing with life and life is what we are all living, unless I am mistaken and we are all delusional.. lol..

I know that when I get less comments from someone, I will look them up and if there is a notice that they are busy, I feel better about it and less ignored.. Just keep doing what you are doing and take your time. Life is not meant to be a rush. At least that is what I have gained from it.

🙂

• Thank you for such detailed and wise advice. One of the best things about having posted this is the very supportive comments, the main theme of which has been is that everyone is feeling this way in their own way, everyone is juggling, and so everyone understands. That is enormously comforting…not that I wish pressure on others, but that I know that people do understand. The posting, for the moment, is not so much a problem as I write poetry in batches and schedule ahead. But your idea about putting up a post – like the one I did this time – to let people know if I am more than usual overloaded so may be not there quite as much is a great one. I wrote this one because I was just feeling overwhelmed from a particularly bad day at work, so not with any other thought really, but I can see the wisdom in your suggestion about updates if needed. Thank you so much! 🙂

23. Eva van Beek says:

You already got plenty of advise…but if I may: I was staggered by your high out-put! I thought “wow! I don’t know how she does it!” I write once a week – I do not have too many followers but people (like you!) are kind enough to return and leave their comments each week. Blogging for me is a hobby and no replacement for other creative, social and professional stuff I do in real life. I think the most important thing is that it stays fun and does not become a must. Take time. I love your stuff – I look forward to reading it, no matter if you publish once a day, once a week or once a month 🙂

• Thank you! That is so much appreciated! As I’ve said in a few replies, I tend to write the poetry in batches then schedule so it probably looks like I writ two poems a day but I don’t do it that way…so in between that I try to make my blogging experience about other bloggers and blogs, apart from replying to people kind enough to comment on my blog, such as yourself. I am going to try a few things to balance the reading a bit more given my work demands, but hopefully in a way that doesn’t mean I neglect anything too much. 🙂

24. tyroper says:

I’m not an RCCer, but, yeah, work, family, friends, reading, blogging, oh and writing. I’m backing off blogging. Takes too much time away from writing. It’s tough to balance. So, I don’t. Sometimes I’ll “reader” and blog a bunch, some days I won’t. The book is the important thing. Best wishes with your efforts. Let’s hear it for publishing in July!

• Thank you so much! I’m working on the balance now, will see how it goes. I have already committed chunk of the upcoming weekend just to finalising the book stuff I need to send to lulu.com, so I don’t fall behind anymore with that! 🙂

25. greenembers says:

Oh wow! I have been going through this too! Today I am finally trying to catch up on some of my reading. Luckily your blog is easy, you poets rock. I really don’t have a good solution but reading through all the comments, there is a lot of good stuff! Going to have to take notes.

• Thank you! As I’ve said a few times, while I don’t wish pressure on others, it is great to know others have experienced something like this so we can all understand each other in it so well. 🙂 🙂

26. Just try to keep it simple, don’t over think too much, try to have several short breaks in between the 10 hours at work. If you can’t take breaks, quit your job, and concentrate on the publishing and your blog. Life’s too short to be frustrated because of long working hours 🙂 Of course I’m kidding! What I’m trying to say is, take a break, watch a movie, read a book, go for a refreshing weekend vacation. Just don’t let them screw with you, we need you here more than they do at work 😀
    Cheers

• Thanks so much – after last week I really wouldn’t mind quitting my job, LOL..but there are bills to pay, and hopefully it was just a particularly bad week. I am trying to find balance a bit more, will see how it goes. 🙂 🙂

27. Pingback: The Crew Update Issue 1 | Rome Construction Crew

28. landl30 says:

Bless you Helen… take a pause for yourself. Breathe, 2, 3, 4… it’s like they say on the airplane… put your own oxygen mask on first, THEN look after the others around you.
    I do poemsperday.com (thanks for your “likings”)… BUT I work off of a one year backlog I wrote, without the publishing pressure, before I went online.
    We’d rather have you sane … and still publishing with us… than dropping like a stone.
    Hugs

29. shewhowrites says:

Have you tried bloglovin’? it makes viewing other people’s blogs a lot more stream lined and not limited to a single community. It also allows to scan through easily, pick which article/ posts to read. I’m in love. Why didn’t anyone think of this sooner?

30. rcponders says:

Perhaps the office politics are eating up your energy–beware the vampires! I know from my own experience that the energy drain can leave you sapped for days, unable to even look at your novel let alone feel creative. If you relate to this, all I can suggest is that you take a good look at where you are investing your energy and if that “deposit” is truly serving you. If not, find a way to stay more grounded in your own power and let the dark ones do as they will.
    Carolyn Myss has some good info on this topic; I found her DVDs helpful.

• Thank you – I think there is some real truth in that…I’m trying not to get too drawn in to some of the politics around me at the moment! I’ll check out Carolyn’s work. 🙂

31. jjspina says:

First take a deep cleansing breath and let it out slowly. How do you feel? Second think about what is the most important thing on your to do list and then do it. Next sit down with a cup of your favorite beverage and take a nap. You deserve it! Do whatever makes you happy and fulfilled and don’t worry about blogging until you feel you are not overwhelmed any more. Best wishes. I will be back to check on you again.