Prompt 6 – Personification – The Forgotten Teddy Bear

English: Picture of a teddy bear with head tur...

English: Picture of a teddy bear with head turned slightly to the left. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Once I sat
Content, on your lap
Beaming up through my
Beaded eyes
Flowing love to you
My precious child

I enjoyed so
Our childhood games
The stories and the clothes
You adorned me with
The friends amongst us
All gathered there
In the warm afternoon

I thought this would last
Forever
Why ever not?
I would live a thousand lifetimes
In my stuffing and my cloth
For you

But you grew
Didn’t you?
You gave away childish things
You gave away me
Furry friend
Turned flotsam and jetsam

Or at least
That’s how it feels
While I sit silent
Squashed in the darkness
Of your cupboard
Abandoned and alone
Dreaming of the light of day
And the light of your eyes
Returned to me

Prompt from mindlovemiseryΒ -at http://mindlovemisery.wordpress.com

This entry was posted in Poetry, Water and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Prompt 6 – Personification – The Forgotten Teddy Bear

1. Awwww Helen this is so cute, I want to give him so many cuddles. I gave my massive My Little Pony collection to Isadora and I still have my favorite stuffed bunny my grandma gave me though he has seen better days lol

2. Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. My daughters adore their bears still. I need to cherish every moment of them dragging them behind them everywhere they go. Time goes way too fast. Great work, Sis!!!!!

3. Rowan Taw says:

Now I’m feeling guilty!

4. Shhh! Don’t tell ANYONE, but I not only had a Teddy, I also had a fluffy blue rabbit with a white chest and tummy πŸ™‚

I used to have a stuffed monkey when I was a kid. It was one of those old fashioned things that was filled with sawdust. Unfortunately when I hit teenage-hood it came in very useful as a substitute cricket ball and its head ended up disappearing down the neighbour’s chimney.

6. This is just gorgeous, really touching. ‘But you grew, didn’t you’…ouch…perfect!

7. Poor sweet teddy bear!

8. Sad verse but so touching

9. A great subject for the prompt, and you pulled it off flawlessly! A wonderful write!

10. Jamie Dedes says:

An excellent spin on personification and a very fine poem. Bravo!

11. SSMatthews says:

wonderful work Helen, the bear waits and will wait, eternally.

12. This is beautifully done, and did make me more than a little sad/wistful for my own stuffed bear!

13. howanxious says:

I have so many toys from childhood stored in cupboard; I don’t remember the last time they saw the day light. Feel bad for them now..
    A beautifully crafted poem and a lovely personification of the sweet teddy bear. πŸ™‚

14. How sad….I think we humans stuff family in friends into a cupboard of neglect….great personification

15. brian miller says:

smiles…it was not too long back we found my old teddy bear from when i was a boy…a panda bear, white and black…orange eyes…we gave it to my son…so he got a second chance at life…very cool personification of the teddy bear….

16. David King says:

Ha, brilliant and charming with it!

17. nessa1313 says:

I have to go get my teddy bear out of his dark closet now.

18. hypercryptical says:

Lovely, lovely!

My first thought was to write about a Ted too. Talk about personification; when my children were small and I washed their fluffy toys, I used to feel extraordinarily guilty when I pegged them to the washing line by their ears… (I did think they might seek me out while I slept and gain some sort of awful revenge for the pain I had induced…)

Anna :o]