I Made a Promise Once

Promise...

Promise… (Photo credit: M Reza Faisal)

I made a promise once
Unconditional and pure
I made it when I thought I knew
At a time when I was sure
But life eroded all this strength
Till now I’m insecure

I made a promise once
When commitment seemed for free
I made it when I cared or you
And you seemed to care for me
But in the finer print I found
Deeper cause to be set free

I made a promise once
In the days when I believed
I made it so your heart and soul
From darkness be reprieved
But saw instead the dark was you
Just emptiness received

I made a promise once
For years you held me to my vow
I made it when I dreamt and felt
Many things I can’t feel now
I pray that time will empathise
And redemption still allow

This entry was posted in Poetry, Water and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to I Made a Promise Once

Never got married myself. Why ruin a good thing?

2. This is so very touching and painful, Helen. I know so many will relate personally to this poem. It is sad that so many will relate but not feel so very alone in it anymore. Big hugs, Sis. Great poem.

3. ioniamartin says:

Beautiful, sad, honest.

4. words4jp says:

i read this and instantly saw my relationship with my ex – the one who i write the most about – the one i gave more of my self to than anyone in the world (this includes my ex husband) – i can love only two people unconditionally – my boys – I will never, ever, go down that road again. Unconditional love – he drowned it.

• Yes, unconditional love should only be given to those that really deserve it and can reciprocate. I’m sorry you went through that. But thank you for commenting! πŸ™‚

5. When you think someone has the same commitment level and then you find out they don’t the sad part is knowing. Nice poem.

6. Kira says:

This was poignantly sad. It is so hard when on part of two commits and the other doesn’t. Very well said…

7. I almost thought of a relationship, but then as I read it, I realized I’ve never given myself unconditionally to much, except my son. Very thought-provoking, and evocative poem.

8. raeme67 says:

Sad sweet poem. How talented you are.

9. kcharbneau says:

Simply beautiful.

10. tinemagpayo says:

so heartbreaking and real, i love it. πŸ™‚

11. Noora says:

Very touching piece, Helen. You are a gifted poet.